My sister has a farm in the black cotton hills of Ngong and a couple months ago she put up some greenhouses that are doing pretty well. She is a new farmer so she has been trying everything that she thinks will grow up there in the hills. One being bell peppers – the red and yellow varieties which I so favor. The green variety is how all peppers start out and then as they mature, they turn into red, yellow or colors in between! Who knew?
Here are some peppers that I picked on her farm…ok I didn’t actually do the picking – I just pointed out which ones I wanted and the farm hands did the dirty work!
and here’s the juicy red ones…lovely color huh?
So, if you have onions and a bunch of peppers lying around the house, make this simple pasta dish, which is great hot off the stove or at room temperature. It is one of our favorites…we eat way more pasta than we are supposed to but how the heck are we supposed to use up all the peppers we get for free?! It is simple dish but hits the spot every time – go on, try it!
Recipe for: Pasta & Peppers
- 1Ib uncooked fusilli/penne
- 1 Red Onion, sliced
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 each sliced sweet red, green, yellow pepper
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 2 tsp vegan butter* (opt)
- Vegan Cheese to top it (your choice)
- Cook pasta per box directions, to al dente
- In a nonstick skillet, saute onion in oil for 1 minute. Add garlic; cook 30 seconds longer. Add the peppers for 1 minute then add the oregano, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes.
- Add the white wine and vegan butter* if using; cook and stir until mixture comes to a simmer.
- Drain pasta and stir into skillet, toss to coat with sauce. Turn off heat and serve. If you are a cheese head, go to town with grated cheese all over the plate. Or minced parsley for a touch of green!